Looking Back, Moving Forward
There are years — and then there are big years. 2021 brought a record number of changes for Mayer. We added people, partners and capabilities. In the midst of winning cases for our clients, we took a few giant leaps forward in our ability to bring an even greater level of service, expertise and representation to our clients. Join us as we review a few highlights of this amazing year.
We Grew Bigger. And Better.
We grew the firm by a third in 2021, including five new partners, eleven new associates, six new paralegals, a whole new office in Fayetteville, Arkansas, and a second floor in our Dallas office. New partners Nathaniel Martinez, Melanie Okon, Chris Saddock and Cliff Taylor bring expertise in Immigration, Corporate & Securities, Tax and Energy, while Barrett Deacon is head of our new Fayetteville office. We also promoted three partners — Jason Kerr, David Larsen and Jason Wilkes — from within the firm and are excited about the leadership they bring to our Dallas, Albuquerque, and San Antonio offices.
The year also marked additional work for our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee (DEI) to help shape our future growth efforts. By fostering a community of talented and diverse professionals, we are able to provide a vibrant, entrepreneurial, and client-centric environment. The DEI Committee, made up of representatives of each office, partnered with renowned certified professional coach and speaker PJ Dunn and the Law Firm Antiracism Alliance to host several firmwide events.
Our Service Offering Grew Broader. And Deeper.
We believe in the value of clients having one law firm that sees the big picture of what they’re facing. As part of that commitment, we added capabilities in four crucial areas in 2021: Tax, Immigration, Energy and Appellate Law. With the expansion of our capabilities and areas of expertise, we’re able to bring a broader range of services to our clients, and equip their businesses with an even greater level of protection and representation.
We Had Big Wins Outside The Courtroom.
Numerous publications and our peers continued to recognize our team members for their expertise and tenacity with accolades that included:
- D Magazine “Best Lawyers” 2021: Wade McClure, Ken Patterson, and Aaron Speer
- Best Lawyers in America® “Lawyer of the Year” 2022: Barrett Deacon for litigation and insurance law in Fayetteville, Arkansas
- Best Lawyers in America®: Wade McClure, Alan Rucker, Dick Wiles, and Barrett Deacon
- Super Lawyers 2021: Robin Gant, Kevin Keith, Zach Mayer, Wade McClure, Robert Rickman, Kevin Riley, Alan Rucker, and Aaron Speer
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” in Dallas/Fort Worth: Commercial Litigation, Product Liability Litigation, Mass Tort Litigation/Class Action, and Medical Malpractice (all for defendants)
- Houstonia “Top Lawyers” 2021-2022: Kevin Riley
We’re especially excited about the next generation of leaders coming up through our ranks:
- D Magazine “Best Lawyers Under 40” 2022: Heather Kanny, Brandon Maxey, and Trent Rexing
- Super Lawyers 2021 Texas Rising Stars: Heather Kanny, Trent Rexing, and Kunal Shah
- Super Lawyers 2021 Mid-South Rising Star: Lauren Baber
We Give 100% — In And Out Of The Courtroom.
We spent a lot of time in courtrooms, in conference rooms and on Zoom calls during the past year. But we also continued to use our passions to contribute to the legal community by hosting a CLE on Employment Law centered around returning to the workplace amid the ongoing pandemic, authoring expert articles and speaking at legal conferences. Visit our blog for the latest expert articles and tips.
In a year that was marked by shutdowns and social distancing, it was more important than ever for our team to give back to our communities. We were proud to support the Scottish Rite Hospital Cookies & Castles event, the Genesis Women’s Shelter and the Salvation Army via Potter’s House in Fayetteville and local schools in Albuquerque.
Here’s To An Even Bigger Year Ahead.
By any measure, 2021 was a redefining year at Mayer. We’d like to thank all our clients, team members and colleagues for making it all possible. We’re only a month in, and 2022 is off to a great start — we look forward to sharing some BIG news very soon! We can’t give you the full details just yet. But it may involve an acquisition in Texas’ largest city, plus the addition of a rock-solid litigator and her group in Dallas.