Nathaniel R. Martinez Partner
Nathaniel is a Partner in the Houston office of Mayer LLP. He has gained broad experience in business transactions, merger and acquisition due diligence and counsel, employment, and immigration. Nathaniel’s clients encompass the energy, healthcare (including hospital systems, physician, and dentist practice groups), manufacturing, construction, and software technology sectors.
Nathaniel understands that his clients depend on his strategic counsel to identify legal risks and develop innovative solutions to mitigate losses and improve business productivity. He cultivates close partnerships with his clients by seeking to understand their business in all facets, and thus, represents his clients as their outside general counsel.
Nathaniel advises companies of various sizes and industries in aspects of enforcement and defense of non-competition agreements, breaches of fiduciary duty, and contract disputes. He counsels clients on their employment-related matters, including preparation of employment agreements, employee handbooks, non-disclosure agreements, separation agreements, non-competition/non-solicitation agreements, and hiring and termination practices. Nathaniel represents individuals, family-owned or closely held businesses on the succession plans or business divorce/separation matters.
Nathaniel assists companies of all sizes and areas of specialization with obtaining business visas for hiring, transferring, and training employees in the U.S. on a temporary and permanent basis. He counsels corporate legal and HR departments regarding immigration compliance (I-9), employer sanctions and anti-discrimination issues, as well as hiring and termination decisions of foreign nationals. Nathaniel also coordinates transfers of U.S. personnel to foreign countries to ensure proper work authorization and immigration compliance for American citizens and their employers abroad.
- Successfully defended oil and gas companies in Fair Labor Standards Act – Collective Action wage and hour issues.
- Successfully prosecuted injunctive relief matters involving trade secret misappropriation and breaches of restrictive covenants.
- Successfully represented companies in audits filed by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security involving the hiring/employing of alleged unauthorized employees.
- Successfully represented companies in audits filed by the U.S. Department of Labor Wage & Hour Division related to the H-1B visa program.
- Corporate & Securities
- Labor & Employment
- University of Houston Law Center, Houston, TX, J.D., 2011
- Honors College, Political Science, University of Houston, Houston, TX, B.A. 2003
- Supreme Court of Texas
- United States District Court of the Southern District of Texas
Distinctions & Certifications
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers® for Houston Immigration Law, 2021
- Chambers USA – Recognized Practitioner, Immigration – Texas, 2017-2018
- Associates to Watch, Immigration – Texas, 2020
- Thomson Reuters – Texas Super Lawyers - Rising Stars. 2017-2020
- Woodward/White, Inc. – Best Lawyers in America, Texas' Best Lawyers, Immigration Law, 2020-2021
- University of Houston Arrival Awards – Honoree Beacon of Light
- University of Houston Immigration Clinic – Dean’s Award Recipient, 2010
- University of Houston Law Center Alumni Association (Board Member, 2017-2019)
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Houston Hispanic Bar Association
- Texas Young Lawyers Association
Publications & Speeches
- Presenter: What to do if ICE shows up – Houston Bar Association Construction Law Section Interviewed for New
St. Catherine’s Montessori School (Board of Directors President, 2013-2018; Vice President/Treasurer, 2012-2013)