William “Bill” K. Luyties Partner
Bill began his legal career in 1977 handling general liability cases such as automobile, trucking, premises liability, and construction. He has since moved his emphasis towards representing construction professionals including architects, engineers, surveyors, and contractors. He enjoys his work because it gives him the opportunity to help others resolve disputes and crisis. His achievements and successes are what drive him to continue his work satisfying clients to the best of his ability. Bill believes that his greatest service he provides to his clients is the early and accurate evaluation of a dispute.
Bill enjoys attending musical theatre performances with his family and friends. He is also a baseball fanatic who has a burning passion for the Houston Astros as well as being a supporter for any other Houston professional sports teams. While not in the office, Bill enjoys traveling and adventuring in new places. He enjoys spending time with his kids, his grandkids, and his extended family. Reading is also a major hobby for Bill as he enjoys various types of literature and getting swept away by a good book.
- University of Houston Law Center, J.D., summa cum laude, 1977
- University of Houston, B.A., summa cum laude, 1974
- State Bar of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Successfully defended in trial a structural engineer in the widely publicized Sandra Bullock construction defect lawsuit where other parties had an adverse judgment of over $7 million.
- Successfully defended a civil engineer in an arbitration proceeding involving flood plain issues against an owner/developer.
- Successfully defended in trial an architect against claims of deficient design of flooring systems at a major university.
- Successfully defended in trial an architect against claims of deficient design where other defendants were adjudged to be responsible for over $6 million in actual and punitive damages.
- Successfully defended in trial an engineering firm whose employee claimed he was wrongfully discharged.
- Successfully defended through trial and appeal a civil engineering firm sued by over 300 homeowners over flooding of a major watershed in Harris County.
- Successfully defended in trial a geotechnical engineering firm in a case involving a $500,000 home sliding down the side of an embankment.
- Successfully defended in trial a geotechnical engineering firm accused of making improper paving recommendations at a park & ride facility.
- Successfully defended in trial an architectural firm sued over the electrocution of a construction worker.
- Successfully defended in trial a refinery engineering/construction firm over the explosion of a major vessel.
- Successfully defended in trial a major pipeline company sued by 7 plaintiffs for injuries sustained in a pipeline explosion.
- Successfully defended in trial a pipeline contractor who had been sued by a construction worker severely injured in a trench collapse.
- Successfully defended in trial a general contractor in a personal injury case brought by a subcontractor’s employee injured when he fell from an unguarded stair case during construction.
- Successfully defended in arbitration an engineering firm against claims of defective design of offshore drilling facilities
- Successfully defended in trial a geotechnical engineering firm against claims of defective design of 5 acres of paving.
- Successfully defended in arbitration an engineering firm sued over the design of offshore production platforms.
- Prosecuted two appeals on behalf of design professionals under the Texas Certificate of Merit Statute (Chapter 150, Tex-Civil Practice & Remedies Code).
- Prosecuted appeal for Chicago law firm making new law in Texas on personal jurisdiction issues.
- Houston Bar Association
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Former Member, Texas Pattern Jury Charge committee
- Lecturer at CLE Seminars – both tort and construction
- Selected by his peers as a Texas Super Lawyer, 2006-2021 (Thomson Reuters), in Construction Litigation
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (2008-2021 editions) in the area of construction law.