Trent W. Rexing Partner
Trent Rexing has a passion for solving his clients’ problems, and uses a collaborative approach to achieve results that are in their best interests. Trent is able to navigate complex legal issues to develop creative and effective solutions for his clients, and effectively serves as the outside general counsel to many of his small to midsized clients.
Trent represents clients in commercial litigation, with an emphasis on business and tort cases as well as labor and employment disputes. His representative clients have included large national telecommunications companies, national retailers, national apartment complex management companies, real estate developers, regional logistics companies, entrepreneurs, other law firms and former NFL athletes.
Trent’s practice encompasses general commercial litigation, labor and employment disputes, litigation involving real estate matters, and personal injury cases in both state and federal courts. On behalf of small and large businesses, Trent has handled contractual disputes and business torts, sought and secured injunctive relief shutting down unfair competition, and successfully collected money for his clients on outstanding accounts and post-judgment collection actions. Furthermore, Trent has experience handling statutory causes of action including the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act and Texas Debt Collection Act.
Trent has represented numerous insurers and self-insured companies in a variety of tort-based litigation, with an emphasis on dram shop, premises liability disputes, and products liability. He currently serves as national dram shop counsel for a national restaurant group, advising them on all aspects of dram shop cases throughout the nation.
Trent received his J.D. from Southern Methodist University’s Dedman School of Law. In addition to Texas courts, Trent has extensively litigated cases in New Mexico, Oklahoma, Florida, Oregon, Arizona and Louisiana.
- Corporate & Real Estate
- Labor & Employment
- Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, J.D., 2011
- University of Oklahoma, B.B.A., 2008
- State Bar of Texas, 2011
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
Distinctions & Certifications
- Texas Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters (2018)
- Obtained a $1.2M judgment on behalf of a national food processing company for theft and embezzlement of funds.
- Successfully recovered numerous six-figure debts for services provided by clients to customers who were failing to pay.
- Represented an apartment complex in successful negotiations with City officials regarding code enforcement at the premises. Prevented a potential shut-down of the property and effectively steered the apartment complex out of litigation.
- Successfully negotiated the contentious purchase and sale of interests in a company among family members.
- Successfully obtained injunctive relief on behalf of client preventing a former employee from working for a competitor and utilizing confidential/proprietary information. The competing company paid client’s attorneys’ fees in addition to monetary damages.
- Defended regional transportation company from claims of wrongful termination. All claims against the client were dismissed, and client was awarded monetary damages on counter-claims.
- Obtained Summary Judgment on premises liability claims for a national communications provider. Successfully defended the Plaintiff’s appeal of same.
- Obtained defense verdict on behalf of national communications provider at an American Arbitration Association (“AAA”) arbitration at which Plaintiff was seeking in excess of $1 million for claims of slander and wrongful imprisonment.
- Successfully defended a national communications provider in a premises liability case. Obtained a Summary Judgment dismissing all claims with prejudice.
- Successfully defended a national apartment complex management company in a premises liability case. Obtained a Summary Judgment dismissing all claims with prejudice.
- Successfully defended a roofing sub-contractor in a premises liability case. Obtained a Summary Judgment dismissing all claims with prejudice.
- Obtained a Summary Judgment dismissing all claims against a national retailer in case involving allegations of wrongful imprisonment.
- Successfully defended a small law firm against claims relating to a lien filed on an industrial building. Obtained a Summary Judgment dismissing all claims with prejudice.
- Successfully defended a national restaurant chain in a premises liability case. Obtained a Summary Judgment dismissing all claims with prejudice.
- National Retail and Restaurant Defense Association