Kevin J. Keith Partner
Kevin Keith is a civil trial and appellate lawyer with an impressive level of expertise gained in his forty year legal career. He heads the appellate section at Mayer, LLP and has tried more than twenty cases to verdict as a first-chair civil trial attorney. He has also handled over 100 state and federal civil appeals as lead appellate counsel. Kevin has practiced in the U.S. Supreme Court and Texas Supreme Court, argued en banc to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, and represented clients in all fourteen courts of appeals in Texas.
His trial and appellate practice has concentrated on wrongful death and personal injury cases involving health care liability claims, insurance law, construction accidents, professional negligence, products liability, employment and contract law.
Kevin has been Board Certified in Civil Appellate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization since the first class of lawyers were certified in 1987. As the leader of the firm’s growing practice in appellate law, he provides counsel in a wide range of litigation support and civil appellate law matters. In addition, Kevin has served on state Civil Appellate Rules committees and served on the Texas Pattern Jury Charge committee. He was also appointed by the Fifth District Court of Appeals to serve on the Lawyers Conference Task Force on Appellate Court Delay Reduction. Kevin has been a lecturer at numerous legal conferences on civil appellate law and medical malpractice defense topics, and served five years as Chairman of the Amicus Curiae committee for the Texas Associate of Defense Counsel. Kevin has maintained an AV® rating, the highest rating for legal ability awarded by Martindale- Hubbell, throughout his career.
Kevin is a graduate of the University of Texas at El Paso and Texas Tech School of Law. He has been married over forty years to Laura Miller Keith, and they constantly interact with their three grown daughters and grandson. Kevin likes to golf, enjoys travel and the fine arts.
- Texas Tech University School of Law, Lubbock, Texas, J.D., cum laude, 1979
- University of Texas, El Paso, Texas, B.S., cum laude, 1975
State Bar of Texas, 1979
Distinctions & Certifications
- AV Preeminent, Martindale Hubbell
- Texas Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters (2003-2004, 2017-2019)
- Board Certified, Civil Appellate Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 1987 (re-certified 1992, 2002, 2007, 2012 and 2017) Honorary Gala Chairman, Parish Episcopal School, 2011
- Lawyers Conference Task Force on Appellate Court Delay Reduction
- Biaggi v. Patrizio, 149 S.W.3d 300 (Tex. App.—Dallas 2004)
- Pines of Westbury, Ltd. v. Paul Michael Const., 993 S.W.2d 291 (Tex. App.— Eastland 1999) Walker v. Packer, 827 S.W.2d 833 (Tex. 1993)
- Ticor Title Ins. Co. v. Lacy, 803 S.W.2d 265 (Tex. 1991)
- Duff v. Yelin, 751 S.W.2d 175 (Tex. 1988)
- Bar Association of the Fifth Federal Circuit Member, 1987-Present Dallas Bar Association Member, Appellate Law Section
- State Bar of Texas Member, Appellate Section
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel Member, 1986-1991
- St. Philip’s School and Community Center (2010 – 2012)
- Parish Episcopal School – Board of Trustees (2003 – 2009)
- Parish Episcopal School – Ex-Officio General Counsel (pro bono) (1992-2010)
- Parish Episcopal School – Endowment Committee (1998 – 2002)
- Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration – Member (1986 – present)
- Habitat for Humanity – construction worker (1999, 2003, 2011), Merrill Hartman House