Karina C. Cantu Partner
Karina has extensive experience representing both businesses and individuals in complex litigation matters throughout the state of Texas. She focuses her practice on business, construction, and personal injury litigation. She routinely defends property owners, bars, restaurants, and other hospitality establishments against claims involving premises and dram-shop liability, as well as transportation companies against claims alleging negligence. Karina also has significant experience handling first party property and casualty claims on behalf of insurance companies, including UM/UIM and wind/hail storm claims.
In addition to her defense practice, Karina has also built a robust commercial litigation practice. She is experienced in prosecuting and defending commercial and fiduciary litigation claims, including breach of contract, shareholder and partnership disputes, and business torts involving allegations of fraud, negligent misrepresentation, shareholder oppression, theft of trade secrets, and tortious interference.
Karina is deeply committed to delivering exceptional legal services to her clients while taking into account their strategic objectives and budgetary considerations. She understands the importance of providing customized legal solutions that meet the individual or organizational needs of each client.
- St. Mary’s University School of Law
- University of Texas at Austin, Government B.A.
- State Bar of Texas, 2005
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
Distinctions & Certifications
- Scene in SA “San Antonio Rising Stars”
- Scene in SA “Best SA Lawyers”
- San Antonio Magazine “The Top Attorneys in San Antonio: 2021”
- Successfully defended major franchisor in lawsuit alleging participation in breach of fiduciary duty resulting in take-nothing judgment in favor of defendant franchisor following two-week jury trial.
- Represented major aircraft modification company in delay claim dispute, resulting in favorable jury verdict awarding aircraft modification company its delay damages following two-week jury trial.
- Represented Chief Executive Officer of corporation with over 400 shareholders in lawsuit alleging securities fraud and breach of fiduciary duty. Successfully argued plea to the jurisdiction resulting in dismissal of all claims against Defendant CEO.
- Represented one of the largest line clearance and vegetation management companies in the country against wrongful death claim resulting in favorable settlement.
- Defended major importer of produce against breach of contract claim and prosecuted importer’s counterclaims resulting in favorable settlement.
- Represented e-commerce company in prosecution of trademark cancellation proceeding resulting in company’s ability to register its desired trademark.
- Represented international charity in will contest involving disputed claim to decedent’s estate valued in excess of $2.5 million, resulting in favorable settlement.
- Co-authored Private Letter Ruling Request to Internal Revenue Service seeking modification of IRC 6166 Election involving taxable estate valued in excess of $100 million.
- Prosecuted fraud and breach of contract claims on behalf of departing shareholder of closely held corporation against former corporation resulting in significant monetary recovery in favor of departing shareholder.
- Defended large residential home builder against fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of warranty, and construction defect claims resulting in favorable settlement.
- Successfully represented appellant before Fourth Court of Appeals in case involving claim for breach of contract resulting in reversal of adverse judgment.
- Represented defendant property owner against claims of fraud and forgery, resulting in take nothing judgment in favor of defendant following bench trial.
- San Antonio Bar Association
- Bexar County Women’s Bar Association
Publications & Speeches
- “The Buy-Sell Agreement” NSIDE Magazine, November 2008
- “The Story of Big Tom Callaghan” NSIDE Magazine, July 2009
- “A US/Mexico Love Affair” NSIDE Magazine, September 2009
- “Beyond Washington” NSIDE Magazine, November 2009
- “An Unwritten Story: Texas and the Series LLC” NSIDE Magazine, January 2011
- “Non-Compete Agreements” NSIDE Magazine, August 2011
- “The ‘Loser Pays’ Bill” NSIDE Magazine November 2011
- “Alternative Dispute Resolution” NSIDE Magazine, January 2012
- “The Bully in the Boardroom” NSIDE Magazine, January 2013
Karina is actively involved in the community. Most notably, She served on the San Antonio Housing Authority’s Board of Commissioners from 2009-2016. Housing and Urban Development Secretary and San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro appointed her to the Board in 2009. SAHA is one of the nation’s largest housing authorities and seeks to provide quality affordable housing and a path to self-sufficiency for families in need. While on the Board, Karina chaired the Finance Committee which oversaw an annual operating budget in excess of $170 million. She also oversaw the Audit Committee.