Amos D. Pettis Attorney
Amos Pettis has over 20 years of litigation experience in a broad range of civil litigation defense but focuses most of his practice on transportation defense and high exposure or complex litigation. He has represented individuals, businesses, and insurance companies in state and federal courts and arbitration, from small claims court to multi-million-dollar exposures. Amos is licensed to practice in all trial and appellate courts in both Texas and Oklahoma and has appeared pro hac vice in numerous courts across the country. He has tried more than 30 cases to judges and juries and has argued multiple cases in the appellate courts, and he has obtained numerous summary dispositions on behalf of his clients. Amos has handled cases involving motor vehicle accidents, wrongful death, premises liability, construction defects, healthcare liability, class action lawsuits, non-subscriber cases, fiduciary duties, real estate and RCLA litigation, the Dram Shop Act, breach of contract, insurance bad faith, DTPA violations, civil asset forfeiture, and many other areas of civil law.
In addition to his extensive litigation practice, Amos has successfully handled insurance coverage disputes, appeals, and pre-suit investigations for his clients. Amos frequently counsels clients on best practices and potential liability exposure after an incident or claim, including when to resolve disputes early and when to aggressively defend.
Amos is a native Texas who grew up moving around the state as a preacher’s kid. Amos graduated valedictorian of Princeton High School in 1994 and was voted captain of the football team, where he was named All-State offensive lineman by the Associated Press. He then graduated summa cum laude (4.0 GPA) with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English from Angelo State University in 1997. Amos next received his Juris Doctor degree, cum laude, from Texas Tech University School of Law in 2000. After completing his education, Amos returned to the DFW metroplex where he has been practicing law ever since.
Amos and his wife, Rebecca, live outside Waxahachie with their large family of children, foster kids, and many animals. Amos and Rebecca are active with their church and several foster and adoption organizations in the community, and they enjoy camping and going on cruises for vacation.
- Texas Tech University School of Law, cum laude, 2000, J.D.
- Angelo State University, summa cum laude, 1997, B.A. (English)
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of Oklahoma
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Oklahoma
- United States District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- Ellis County Bar Association
- Texas Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- Oaks Church – volunteer leader
- John 4 Ministries – secretary
- Cherished Impressions Child Placing Agency – licensed foster parent