Aaron M. Speer Partner
Aaron, a founding Partner and the Transportation Practice Group Leader, focuses his practice on defending businesses facing high exposure and catastrophic losses. He has experience in both federal and state courts representing privately held businesses, publicly traded companies, and insurers in tort, real estate, construction and complex business litigation. Additionally, Aaron defends both self-insured and insured companies in a variety of tort-based matters, including trucking and transportation accidents, work site and commercial explosions, premises liability claims and dram shop actions. With his experience in the courtroom, Aaron has the ability to properly evaluate a case in order to obtain favorable settlements when necessary.
Aaron has a diverse educational and professional background with international experience. Aaron speaks conversational Spanish and has studied in Italy and Mexico, as well as working in Puerto Rico, Guatemala and Monterrey, Mexico. Aaron began his professional career in sales with IBM, followed by a smaller software company before obtaining his law degree and a master’s degree in business administration.
Aaron has received numerous accolades from his peers, such as his inclusion on the D Magazine 2021 Best Lawyers list and the 2019–2021 Texas Super Lawyers List. He was also selected by Super Lawyers to the Texas Rising Stars list, recognizing highly-regarded attorneys under age 40, in 2008, 2010–2012, and 2014–2015. A number of Aaron’s trial victories have been featured in the Texas Verdict Search publication
- Texas Tech University, J.D., 2005
- Texas Tech University, M.B.A., 2005
- Texas A&M University, B.A. in Marketing, cum laude, 1997
- State Bar of Texas, 2005
- State Bar of Oklahoma, 2012
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
Distinctions & Certifications
- Texas Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters, 2008, 2010–2012, 2014–2015
- Texas Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2019-2021
- Best Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine, 2021
- Successfully defended a national transportation carrier in a multi-vehicle accident where the plaintiff was seeking over $400,000 in damages. The three-day trial resulted in Mr. Speer apportioning 100% responsibility upon a third party.
- Defense jury verdict on behalf of a national freight company in a wrongful death action where the plaintiffs were seeking in excess of $18 million in damages. The four-day trial in the historically pro-plaintiff venue of Wise County resulted in one of the first defense verdicts in a wrongful death case against a national trucking company.
- Defense verdict in federal court on behalf of a national freight carrier, in a traumatic brain injury and wrongful death action involving a tractor-trailer accident on an interstate highway wherein plaintiffs were seeking in excess of $15 million in damages.
- Defense jury verdict on behalf of a national retailer, in a wrongful death action in Smith County where the plaintiff incurred over $1.3 million in medical expenses. The jury found no negligence on behalf of the defendant.
- Defense jury verdict for a national trucking company in an automobile accident. Plaintiff was awarded no damages by a Palo Pinto County jury.
- Defense jury verdict for a owner-operator tow truck company in an automobile accident involving an Act of God and Unavoidable Accident defense in McLennan County.
- No negligence finding following a bench trial for a Kawasaki distributor and service center in Dallas County.
- Successfully defended numerous high-exposure dram shop wrongful death actions involving the alleged violation of the Texas Alcohol and Beverage Code (i.e., liquor liability law). Effectively resolved first-party and third-party cases at mediation before conducting extensive expert discovery for a fraction of Plaintiffs’ million-dollar demands.
- Successfully defended many catastrophic and wrongful death actions involving national transportation carriers across the state. Prevailed against claims of negligence and gross negligence.
- Obtained an order granting defendant’s motion to strike all of plaintiff’s damages during pre-trial in Hood County, effectively making plaintiff’s case moot and causing plaintiff to announce “not ready” for trial and the court entering a motion to dismiss the case with prejudice.
- Defended a local restaurant owner in a premises liability case wherein plaintiff incurred significant damages as the result of a broken hip after falling in the parking lot. Prevailed on a traditional motion for summary judgment in Tarrant County District Court.
- Prevailed on a traditional motion for summary judgment in Travis County, on behalf of a national retailer involving alleged falling merchandise.
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- Dallas Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- DFW RIMS Chapter
- Trucking Industry Defense Association (TIDA)
Publications & Speeches
- “OFFER OF SETTLEMENT IN TEXAS vs. OFFER OF JUDGMENT IN FEDERAL COURT” – February 2011 Litigation Alert.
- “NFL Concussions: Impact on Traumatic Brain Injury Litigation” – November 2014 Litigation Alert.
- Presenter, “Using Electronic Investigation Safely and Effectively: The Important Line Between Public and Private Data,” CLM – Retail, Restaurant & Hospitality – Mini Conference, May 2014.
- Speaker, “Claims Handler Toolbox,” RIMKUS 6th Annual CE Seminar, March 2016.
- Presenter, “Early Investigation [Without Breaking the Bank] and Spoliation Update,” Canal Insurance Company, August 2017.
- Presenter, “When Average Cases Go Bad,” Global Hawk Insurance Company, July 2018.
- Speaker, “Technology Shifting the Path for Litigation & Transportation Safety,” Northwest Arkansas Trucking Seminar, September 2018.
- Actively involved in Big Brothers Big Sisters since 2011.