Kenneth Patterson Partner
Ken Patterson has been a trial lawyer for nearly 40 years, primarily defending personal injury and medical malpractice cases on behalf of his clients. Ken has tried cases in 20 different Texas counties and has completed approximately 80 major medical malpractice trials. He has a remarkable track record of success, having achieved a favorable verdict for his clients in the vast majority of cases tried. Ken has also had many trial and appellate successes in non-medical matters. Has been repeatedly named as a Texas Super Lawyers and has the rank of “Advocate” in the invitation only prestigious American Board of Trial Lawyers (ABOTA).
Ken is adept at handling all types of personal injury and wrongful death cases. He has primarily defended physicians, but also represents several hospitals, including Shannon Medical Center in San Angelo and Children’s Medical Center in Dallas. He also protects physicians and other health care providers before the Texas Medical Board, the Texas Board of Nurse Examiners and other regulatory agencies.
Because of his familiarity with health care issues and institutions, Ken is called upon to teach health care providers about new legal requirements and provide risk management services to physicians who want to prevent avoid lawsuits and complaints. He also has taught seminar classes at Schools of Nursing including, Brook Army Medical Center in San Antonio and the Harris College of Nursing at TCU.
Ken is a native Texan who completed all of his academic training at Baylor University. Upon his graduation from Baylor Law School, he had an extensive amount of instruction in litigation. As a student, he was a successful member of the Baylor Moot Court Competition teams and won a National Championship for Baylor in the 1980 National Mock Trial Competition, sponsored by the American College of Trial Lawyers.
Ken enjoys an excellent reputation all over Texas having practiced 19 years in North Texas and 21 years in San Antonio.
- Baylor University Law School, Waco, Texas, J.D., 1980
- Baylor University, Waco, Texas, B.A., 1978
- Supreme Court of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
Publications & Speeches
- “The Physician as an Expert Witness” (American Academy of Disability Evaluating Physicians - Overview Course, March 1993).
- “Overview of New Legislation Impacting Physician Liability” (Defense Counsel of San Antonio - Tort and Insurance Law Update Seminar, August 1995).
- “Jury Selection in the Real World - A Defense Perspective” (Choosing and Courting a Jury - State Bar of Texas, CLE Seminar, May 1996).
- “Developing Case Themes from a Defense Perspective” (Medical Malpractice Conference - St. Mary’s and Texas Tech Schools of Law, April 1997).
- “The Anatomy of a Medical Malpractice Case” (Updates in Perinatal Care - Texas Perinatal Association Annual Meeting, September 9, 2000).
- “Assisting Your Attorney” (Litigation Orientation Program sponsored by American Physicians Management Company, June 2005).
- “The Anatomy of a Medical Malpractice Case” (Nursing Education Seminar sponsored by Brooke Army Medical Center, October 2005).
- “Vioxx and Other Drug or Medical Product Litigation - Do’s and Don’ts” (Presentation at annual meeting of Texas Osteopathic Physicians, January 2006).
- “Surviving a Board Investigation” (Presentation for San Antonio Association of Anesthesiologists, February 2007).
- “Disclosure and Apology: Responding to Unanticipated Outcomes” (Webinar sponsored by American Physicians Management Company Insurance Services, June 2007).
- “Learning the Lessons of Litigation: Mock Trial” (Educational Seminar at Children’s Medical Center-Dallas, August 2008).
- “The Anatomy of a Medical Malpractice Case” (Nursing Education Seminar sponsored by Shannon Medical Center - San Angelo, November 2008).
- “Disclosure and Apology: Responding to Unanticipated Outcomes” (Presentation to Medical Staff of Shannon Medical Center - San Angelo, November 2008).
- “The Trial of a Medical Malpractice Case” (Educational Seminar and Mock Trial at Children’s Medical Center - Dallas, August 2009).
- “Interpreting the Legal Monitoring Strip” (Educational Seminar of TPA at Shannon Medical Center, September 2009).
- “Electronic Medical Records: Friend or Foe?” (17th Annual Gus Eckhardt Trauma Symposium at Shannon Medical Center, April 2017).
- “Electronic Medical Records: Friend or Foe?” (Presentation to Medical Staff of Shannon Medical Center - San Angelo, February 2018).
- “Electronic Medical Records: Friend or Foe?” (Class session taught twice a year to graduate nursing students at Harris College of Nursing TCU, initiated, October 2018) (Repeated in February 2019).
- “EMR and the Reassuring Legal Monitoring Strip” (Presentation for Texas Health Dallas at OB/GYN Grand Rounds Presbyterian Hospital, July 2019).
- “Surviving a Texas Medical Board Investigation” (Presentation for Preferred Physicians of America Hurst, November 2019)