Lori Hood Partner
Lori Hood is a Partner in the Houston Office of Mayer LLP. She has an extensive background in business and commercial litigation, taxation, corporate and securities, restructuring, commercial bankruptcy, probate and Trust and Estate matters. She has extensive experience with trials, arbitrations, mediations, and administrative hearings, including oral arguments before the Texas State Courts, Federal Courts, Bankruptcy Courts, Court of Appeals, and Courts in California and Colorado.
Representing private companies in a broad spectrum of litigation and corporate transactions is a unique skill set of Lori’s. Her ability to transition between a traditional trial practice and a corporate practice is the product of many years of representing companies as an outside general counsel and enhancing these skill sets by obtaining an LLM in Taxation. Such clients span a diverse range of industries, including oil and gas exploration and production, oil field services, technology, software, healthcare, medical technology, and clean energy.
Lori enjoys broad experience in business litigation and employment matters, including misappropriation of trade secrets, enforcement and defense of non-competition agreements, breaches of fiduciary duty, and contract disputes. She has successfully prosecuted and defended companies in significant injunction matters where the case’s resolution depended heavily on the outcome of the injunction. She also counsels companies in various aspects of employment-related matters, including preparation of employment agreements, employment manuals, non-disclosure agreements, separation agreements, non-competition/non-solicitation agreements, and consultations regarding hiring and termination practices.
Lori advises clients in tax and corporate matters, including the formation, governance, reorganization, of all types of entities to achieve tax and corporate objectives. She also handles tax controversy matters with both state and federal authorities. Her corporate experience extends to assisting issuers in a full range of private equity and debt offerings. She counsels venture capital and private equity funds and angel investors with the acquisition, ongoing representation, and subsequent portfolio companies' disposition.
Lori works with individuals, family-owned or closely held businesses on the design and implementation of estate planning, business succession plans or business divorce/separation matters. She also advises individuals in personal divorce matters, along with their primary divorce counsel, on tax and corporate issues that arise with the division of complex marital estates involving substantial assets and entities.
- University of Alabama School of Law - Tuscaloosa, AL, L.L.M. Taxation, 2018
- South Texas College of Law, J.D., 1986
- University of Texas At Austin, B.B.A.: Accounting, 1983
- State Bar of Texas, 1986
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- United States District Court- Colorado
- United States District Court- Central California
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Central District of California
- Marshall v. Marshall, 547 U.S. 293 (2006)
- Stern v. Marshall, 564 U.S. 462 (2011)
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- United States Supreme Court
- Federal Bar Association
- Fifth Circuit Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Turnaround Management Association
- Leadership Houston- Class XXIII
- Leadership 20/20- Class XIII
- Life Member- Greater Houston Partnership
- Chair- CROSSROADS: Community Partnership for Youth
- Member- M.D. Anderson Patient Advisory Board
- President- Faith Lutheran Church
- A Place for Peanut- Board Member