Jeff Work Attorney
Jeff has lived, for an extended time, in all four major cities in Texas and has handled cases, including dozens of trials, across the entire state. Born in Tulsa, Oklahoma, Jeff was raised in the Dallas area. After law school, Jeff accepted a job in Houston. After obtaining his board certification in trial law, Jeff was elected, in 1998, as a state district court judge in Harris County, then re-elected in 2002. In 2003, he voluntarily returned to private practice. Although Mr. Work spent a few years on the Plaintiff’s side of the bar, Jeff has spent most his career representing commercial businesses. Jeff has performed almost every job in the courtroom including being a judge, a juror on three two-week trials, a witness, fact and expert, and a trial attorney, as both plaintiff and defense counsel.
Jeff and his wife, Jan, have three adult children: their son, Joe, recently received honorable discharge from the Marines, as a Captain, to move to Austin with his wife to obtain his MBA; daughter Rachel, a schoolteacher, and her husband, live in the Houston area; and daughter Rebecca works for the fashion industry in NYC. Jeff loves sports, including rooting for both the Cowboys and the Texans.
- Oklahoma Baptist University, B.A., 1984
- Baylor University School of Law, J.D., 1988
- State Bar of Texas
- Federal Bar and all Federal Courts in Texas
Distinctions & Certifications
- Board Certified in Personal Injury Law from the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Certified Mediator from the AA White Dispute Resolution Center
- Served as an AAA mediator on several cases.
- Mr. Work tried two cases in Travis County in the summer of 2022; obtained a over $100,000.00 verdict in a case against a drunk driver in the fall of 2019; in the spring and summer of 2019 handled four arbitrations involving residential builders of million dollar homes; represented a contractor in an oil and gas explosion in the Houston ship channel; represented a restaurant chain in a death case involving a customer leaving the business in an intoxicated state; represented a commercial trucking company in two different trials to defense verdict; represented a oil tool manufacturer in a products liability trial concerning damage to an oil well when favorably settled immediately before closing; tried several premises liability cases involving restaurants and grocery stores.
- Jeff served several years, including as Associate Editor, on the Houston Bar Association magazine, The Houston Lawyer, which included publishing of several articles.
- Mr. Work is a Leadership Katy ISD graduate; he and his wife are also active members in their church.