B. Jason Forshee Partner
B. Jason Forshee has more than two decades of experience representing clients in domestic and international corporate reorganizations, acquisitions and divestitures; joint ventures; securities offerings and other corporate finance transactions; and private equity and other investment funds. Jason also counsels clients with regards to general corporate, partnership and other business matters.
Jason regularly advises clients on the federal, state and local and international tax aspects of various business transactions, including corporate mergers, reorganizations and acquisitions, formation of investment funds, acquisitions and dispositions of portfolio companies, partnership mergers and conversions, portfolio debt investments and workouts, choice of business entity for conducting new business operations and real estate transactions.
In addition, Jason advises clients with regards to various tax controversy matters at the federal, state and local levels including redetermination hearings, dispute resolution conferences, offers in compromise, voluntary disclosures, and franchise tax refund litigation.
- Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M. (Taxation), with distinction, 1999
- University of Mississippi School of Law, J.D., 1997
- Mississippi College, B.S., summa cum laude, 1994
- State Bar of Texas, 2001
- The Mississippi Bar, 1997
- United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Mississippi
Distinctions & Certifications
- Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars (Tax), Thomson Reuters
- Best Lawyers in Dallas (Tax), D Magazine
Publications & Speeches
- Co-Author, 1999 State and Local Tax Important Developments – Mississippi, The St. & Loc. Tax and Law., Vol. 5 (2000)
- Author, Treasury Regulations Section 1.856-3(g) v. The Provisions of Subchapter K: Should Economic Effect Control the Determination of a REIT’s Gross Income from an Operating Partnership for Section 856 Income Testing, Georgetown University Law Center Graduate Tax Program Graduate Paper, Unpublished (1999)
- Presenter, “Acquiring a Business: Stock Purchase v. Asset Purchase,” Strasburger’s Tax Symposium, San Antonio and Dallas, TX (2005)
- Presenter, “The Partnership Disguised Sale Rules,” Strasburger’s Tax Symposium, San Antonio and Dallas, TX (2004)
- Presenter, “Mergers with Disregarded Entities and Certain State and Local Tax Issues,” Strasburger’s Tax Symposium, Dallas, TX (2003)
- Presenter, “Traps to Avoid in State and Local Taxation,” Strasburger’s Tax Symposium, San Antonio and Dallas, TX (2002)