William R. “BJ” Jones Partner
BJ Jones is a determined and dependable trial attorney in the firm’s Construction Litigation section. He defends general contractors, homebuilders and subcontractors in complex, multi-party construction defect litigation. His experience also includes catastrophic injury and product defect defense. BJ has gained extensive trial experience in the state and federal court systems, and has achieved favorable verdicts in over fifty cases.
- Texas Tech University School of Law, J.D., 2002
- McMurry University, B.A., magna cum laude, 1997
- State Bar of Texas, 2002
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
Distinctions & Certifications
- Texas Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters (2016)
- Defended international general contractor from claims of breach of contract and negligence arising from construction of large community hospital.
- Won zero-liability jury verdict for pest control company on claim that its work resulted in water damage.
- Won no-liability verdict for international tile manufacturer at trial against homeowners’ claims of breach of contract, Deceptive Trade Practices Act, and breach of warranty.
- Assisted subcontractor in filing and removing liens related to commercial construction projects.
- Defended residential homebuilders against claims of property damage, and successfully pursued responsible subcontractors for contractual risk-shifting purposes.
- Defended land developer against contract and tort claims brought by national homebuilder, involving over 60 homes.
- Achieved a very favorable settlement in suit against general contractor who constructed 160,160,000-sq.-ft. warehouse and two-story office building.
- Represented painting subcontractor against allegations of defective workmanship at $60M multi-family housing complex.
- Resolved suit for breach of contract and tort claims arising from work performed on upscale home by foundation company.
- Handled fire damage claims on behalf of national hair dryer and small appliance manufacturer in cases across Texas.
- Defended high-profile national food processor against claim of on-the-job personal injury.
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- State Bar of Texas Construction Law Section
- Dallas Bar Association Construction Law Section
- Certified Mediator
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Volunteer Mock Trial Judge
Publications & Speeches
- Lagerheads: Construction Defect Interplay with A&E Claims
- Arbitration – Q&A on the FAA & TAA
- Expert Witnesses: A Real World Update on Work Product & Anticipation of Litigation
- Preservation of Error: Hints, Tips & a “How To”
- NCAA & United States Soccer Federation Referee (State Referee Emeritus)
- North Texas State Soccer Association, Appeals & Disciplinary Committee Consultant
- North Texas Intercollegiate Soccer Officials Association, Treasurer
- National Intercollegiate Soccer Officials Association, Legal Advisor
- Member, St. Rita Catholic Church