Maris Elizabeth Harris Attorney
Maris Elizabeth Harris is dedicated to providing excellent service and creative advocacy to her clients. Maris’ diverse practice focuses on defense of clients in the retail, restaurant, hospitality, trucking and construction industries, including personal injury actions, construction litigation and transportation litigation. Maris is a resourceful litigator who takes a proactive approach to defending her cases in order to reach the most favorable outcome for her clients — whether by summary judgment, settlement or trial. She prides herself on client satisfaction, thorough investigative skills, and accurate evaluations of claims.
Maris also has experience handling a variety of complex litigation matters, including residential real estate foreclosure litigation, banking and lending disputes, and personal injury defense. She has extensive experience litigating in both state and federal court.
- Labor & Employment
- Maris obtained her J.D. from Texas A&M University School of Law (f/k/a Texas Wesleyan School of Law) in 2011. During her studies, Maris had the honor of serving as a judicial staff counsel intern with the 371st District Court of Tarrant County for the Honorable Judge Mollee Westfall.
- Maris completed her undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University, graduating cum laude in 2008 with a B.B.A. in political science and a minor in English Literature.
- State Bar of Texas, 2011
- U.S. District Court of the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
Distinctions & Certifications
- Maris attended law school on a merit-based scholarship. During law school, she made the Dean’s List in Spring and Fall of 2010. At Texas A&M, Maris worked for the University, serving the students and professors of the Political Science Department, and received Distinguished Student for five semesters.
- Obtained judgment at trial on behalf of multi-family housing complex, and successfully defended appeal in various forcible detainer actions.
- Obtained judgment at trial on behalf of homeowners for severe property damage caused by tenant.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of mortgage servicer in case where Plaintiff asserted claims of usury and sought rescission of $400,000.00 home loan.
- Obtained dismissal on behalf of mortgage lender for failure to state a claim in multiple lawsuits alleging wrongful foreclosure, violations of RESPA, violations of TILA, breach of contract and negligence causes of action.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of shopping mall and janitorial service in premises liability case where Plaintiff sought damages in excess of $300,000.00.
- Obtained dismissal of “Big Box” retail client and food producer in alleged food contamination claim.
- Defense of product manufacturer in catastrophic brain injury.
- Successfully negotiated settlement on behalf of grocery store chain in traumatic brain injury slip and fall premises liability case.
- State Bar of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
Publications & Speeches
- The Invisible Slip and Fall: The Importance of Record Keeping
- A Cautionary Tale of Pleading and Jury Charge Submissions
- A Primer on Forcible Detainer Actions
- 18.001 Affidavits and Business Records Affidavits